Sewing for Profit – Woman’s Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences Scranton, PA
I found this book at the local used bookstore. It is part of a textbook series mostly published in the 1930’s. I was only able to get one book in the series. The whole thing is available online to read – both sewing & cookery. It is truly a peak into another time! There is a ‘Specializing in Sewing’ section that will be my weekend reading material.
I have been lurking over a craiglist posting for a singer featherweight. The owner sent a pic and the machine looked like it was in good shape. It had a piece of wool over the arm of the machine so I didnt see the badge.
When I went to view the sewing machine – I lifted the wool off and saw the 100th anniversary blue rimmed badge.
I paid and couldnt get home fast enough. Just my luck. She is called ‘moon’ after her original owner. The machine had one owner and was the families machine. A shame no one in the family knows how to sew or wants it.
It all started with a bag of thrifted ties for $5.99. I really wanted to buy all 4 but thought that might be too greedy. Plus I have about 3 quilts started but not finished.
I decided to create the cross over bag from Michelle’s Patterns. I purchased about 6 retired patterns she was clearing out. This pattern comes in size medium and small.
The first bag I made turned out great! I love the silk tie look and used the tie label on the front of the bag. All the ties in this bag are non-diagonal and have a very retro look. If only the ties could talk!
The second bag made was small. I love the look of the bag using all diagonal stripped ties. I dont have an image because I gave it to my mom for her birthday.
I am now on my third bag – a small bag which is part tie material, part recycled cotton. I am running out of ties!
‘Today is your lucky day’ is what Cindy from Cindy-rella’s Sewing & Quilting said to me! She gave me SUCH an incredible deal on her serger, I still can’t believe it. Knowing very little about sergers, I had to do a bit of research when I got home. To be honest, I didn’t even know what the proper tension of the stitch should look like. 🙂
I wasn’t really satisfied with the resources online so I decided to buy another Crafsty online course instead of waiting for an in-person course – Beginning Sergering. I really like how she takes you thru a 40 point check of the machine and uses 3 different models. And by the end of the course, you have a handful of resources and you build a binder of samples which you add to your materials. Later when you need the same stitch all the details like stitch length, width and tension dials are recorded.
After a full day with this serger – it became a love hate relationship. By now I intimately know the ins & outs. I also realized some new features on other sergers I would really like, rolled hem capability and differential feed to create a wave effect! Maybe one day. Thanks Cindy! When I save my pennies I will buying my 2nd serger at your store – I am so grateful to you.
Here are a few projects made out of vintage silk ties I pulled together on the serger once I got going with the machine.
I thought I would give the Honeycomb precuts a try. Having never worked with hexagons, I found the moda bake shop YouTube video and 1 PDF instructions very helpful. It’s coming along nicely and I am very greatful for my sewing machines…tie offMon feature which helps secure all these hex points. The finished product will be wall hanging size. I thought I would use over size running stitches in contrasting DMC floss and vintage buttons in each hex for the quilting size of it.
I have a couple more machines – both BLUE. One of them will be given to a local quilt group! A singer & a white. Both we donated. It looked like the singer had never been cleaned…it was a fabric bunny haven when I took the machine apart. The white required a full day of cleaning and scrubbing – and I eventually had to use steal wool the oil was so caked on. The white is just incredible with a great straight stitch.
I needed to create ten treat bags for an upcoming birthday party and procastinated until the nite before. I had a bit of an assembly line set up. They took about 2 hours total. Each bag is:
Supplies needed: 6 charm squares, ribbon for the drawstring.
-sew 3 charms squares together in a row
-cut the row in half down the middle charm
-re-arrange & re sew into small panels
-make two panels for each side of the bag
-face panels rights sides together
-sew around the perimetre, leaving 2 inches from the top on each side unsewn. Clip corners
-iron the top sides 1/4 inch back & sew – which will finish the edge of the casing nicely
-Optional – I folded the tips of the corners, iron, stitched, and cut the corner tips off to create a box bottom.
-pull ribbon thru the casing
-FILL WITH CANDY & ANYTHING ELSE.