Do you have any sewing books which are essential?
Sewing for Profit – Woman’s Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences Scranton, PA
I found this book at the local used bookstore. It is part of a textbook series mostly published in the 1930’s. I was only able to get one book in the series. The whole thing is available online to read – both sewing & cookery. It is truly a peak into another time! There is a ‘Specializing in Sewing’ section that will be my weekend reading material.
- Decorative stitches and trimmings: Embroidery and decorative stitches. Ribbon and fabric trimmings.[c1934]) (page images at HathiTrust)
- Designing and decorating clothes. Designing and planning clothes. Dress decoration and ornament. [c1930]) (page images at HathiTrust)
- Dyeing, remodeling, budgets: Dyeing, Remodeling, The upkeep of clothing, The budget. [c1934]) (page images at HathiTrust)
- Laundering and dry cleaning: Home laundering. Dry cleaning. (Scranton, Pa., [c1931]) (page images at HathiTrust)
- Sewing materials : textiles, laces, embroideries and findings, shopping hints, mending, household sewing, trade and sewing terms. c1923) (page images at HathiTrust)
- Tailored garments: Tailored suits, coats, and capes. Garments for men and boys. (Scranton, Pa., Woman’s Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences, ) (page images at HathiTrust)
The cookery ones can be found here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Woman%27s%20Institute%20of%20Domestic%20Arts%20and%20Sciences