Here’s the thing. I didnt even put the buttons on this before I tossed it. Dont get me wrong, I learned a ton (welted pockets, topstitching etc) Never took on something so complicated – with so much construction. Forty pieces in all.
So what’s the problem? The fabric! The demin is way to heavy and stiff. It was free so I used it as a muslin to see if I was a med or lrg.
Next time, if there is one, my fabric will be much lighter and with a bit of stretch. The feeling I have right now is Im tired of this pattern and process involved. It will be a while and I am onto sewing other things.
This is the first time I have abandoned something at the muslin stage? How about you?
At least I know my size now!
I fixed this beautiful sewing machine for a women who lives out of town. It’s a 3/4 – singer 99 model with a very nice bentwood case. She has to buy a new foot pedal, I couldn’t repair hers. The timing needed adjusting and now it’s ready to be picked up. She mentioned she sews moccasins and will share the pattern with me. I am super stoked. She makes them out of leather and recycled fur coats.
I bought the neatest Halloween fabric which will be a skull pillow – inspired by lladybirds blog post. While I was paying for my fabric, I noticed a cute gift card holder. It’s made cheaply, but I took a picture so I could make my own.
In light of the pantone colors and the sew weekly colors, I made another bag (of course my favorite pattern) and in grey turbulence.
Made from silk ties and scrap chevron knit material.
Cant stop making these. I still need two more a black & brown version. And maybe red.
The Hathaway –
I found my fabric for my saltspring dress. It has 3 colors from Pantone Fall 2013 collection. Carafe (dr brown), Turbulence (dr grey), and Koi (orange). It is a charmeuse with great drape. It is outta my comfort zone in the fabric department. It is a really LARGE print but I am hoping to pare it with a carafe jacket/cover. I found it more challenging than I thought to find the sew reunion colours. However, this will be only the first of a few saltspring dresses and I will hopefully end up with a wearable muslin.
I have retraced my pattern pieces – not darling to cut into the original tissue paper.
Cut my fabric using a million pins – it wasn’t so bad as I have heard!
Re-threaded my serger – an hour of hell
And figured out my walking foot for the slippery charmeuse
Just have to pick up my notions….I am thinking invisible zipper but the pattern calls for regular so I think I will wait till farther in the sew-a-long to decide.
If you are looking for a beginner pattern, I recommend ‘Sewing with Knits’ by Meg McElwee (Blog SewLiberated) on Craftsy. Super inspiring, non intimating, and you get over 6 patterns! I started with her first project which is the hoody.
Love how easy it was to put together (1 evening & and a 1/2 video tutorial). It is so comfy and my style. I picked a waffle jersey in grey and have enough left over to make an american apparel jersey infinity scarf knock off.
Heading to the fabric store today to by 3 more metres of this knit in dark navy….to make another. I think I will sew one size smaller to get it a bit more form fitting.
Update: Love the drk navy in a size medium. Very cozy to wear today, especially since it is snowing this morning!
Thanks Meg. You are an awesome teacher!
Just joined Spoonflower, a custom fabric design company…can’t wait to start creating. http://www.spoonflower.com/